In order our solution addresses the Challenge, we will:
- train local authorities, actors and population on WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene), rational use and integrated management of water resources and standards to respect;
- - determine the microbiological, inorganic substances, pH, turbidity, organic substances and pesticide of water in order to improve water quality intended for human consumption in Kisangani city;
- - construct and develop drinking water sources by improving the water resources environment in Kisangani city.
Following activities are planned to bring our solution:
- Activity 1: Training of local authorities, actors and population on WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene), rational use and integrated management of water resources and standards to respect (bacteriological, physicochemical and treatment standards) and specifications for water suppliers;
- Activity 2: Water sampling from sources (rivers and streams) for bacteriological control, physicochemical control and disinfection control. Water samples collected will be analyzed according to Standard Methods for the Examination of Water published by the American Water Works Association, the Water Environment Federation and the American Public Health Association (APHA, 2012; MDDELCC, 2016). We will analyzed water inorganic substances, including Antimony, Arsenic, Barium, Boron, Bromates, Cadmium, Chloramines, Total chromium, Cyanides, Fluorides, Nitrates + nitrites (expressed as N), Nitrites (expressed as N), Mercury, Lead, Selenium and Uranium. We will also test water organic substances, including Aldicarb and its metabolites, Aldrin and dieldrin, Atrazine and its metabolites, Azinphos-methyl, Bendiocarb, Bromoxynil, Carbaryl, Carbofuran, Chlorpyrifos, Cyanazine, Diazinon, Dicamba, Dichloro-2, 4 phenoxyacetic, acid (2,4-D), Diclofop-methyl, Dimethoate, Dinozeb, Diquat, Diuron, Glyphosate, Malathion, Methoxychlor, Metolachlor, Metribuzin, Paraquat (as dichlorides), Parathion, Phorate, Picloram and Simazine. Pesticides such as Terbufos, Trifluralin will be also tested. Water turbidity (NTU, NephelometricTurbidity Unit) and pH will be also analyzed during the implementation of the project.
- Activity 3: Construction and improvement of drinking water sources in 6 communes in order to bring sustainable solutions to the water-related problems of the target communities. A total of 12 drinking water sources will be constructed and improved in 6 communes of Kisangani city, including 2 drinking water sources by commune.
Creation of a strong network with stakeholders will be done in order to reinforce their capacity in WASH, rational use and integrated management of water resources and standard to respect. A data base will be organized and be available to facilitate the maintenance and improvement of water resources environment and water quality to be safe to drink.
If you have any questions